Food & Drink
UMC Architects are experts in the design of Food and Drink process facilities, providing the complete design service from inception through to detailed design. We understand the complexities of designing for food and drink process with the necessary food safe environment and the project specific hygiene regimes.
We have worked on a wide range of project types, from complex extension and refurbishments on operational sites, through to complete new builds including:
Whilst we have the necessary experience, it must be noted that every client is different and we must therefore spend the time to carefully note their particular requirements and objectives. We can carry out all or a selection of the typical design stages you would expect when designing a food or drink process facility and our architects have an excellent track record of completed schemes.
- Develop the client brief by understanding the existing or proposed operation.
- Understand flows of materials from raw to finished product together with the specific activities such as cleaning and packaging.
- Establish hygiene regimes throughout the facility from ‘low risk’ to ‘high care’.
- Concept design; begin by setting out what is the ‘ideal’ facility to suit the specific food or drink production process.
- Scheme design; establish the design parameters of the various buildings or functions within a particular site.
- Planning Applications and necessary supporting information/surveys.
- Production of 3D CAD visuals, where required.
- Developing tender drawings and specifications.
- Working with client’s appointed building contractor on the detailed design of the building shell and fit-out.
- Detailed design of new build and extensions or alterations to operating facilities.
- We provide a Director-led, hands-on approach to all of our projects.
- An experienced team who understand the key stages of the design process.
- We can take the lead design/co-ordination role heading the various design functions required for a particular scheme.
- As lead designers we will co-ordinate the design team which would normally include; building services engineers/structural civil engineers/cost consultants/CDM/environmental consultant (BREEAM).
- A tailored service to suit the requirements and budget of each project.
- We develop practical and buildable solutions that can be delivered on site.
Designing to Specific Budgets
We understand that projects have to be designed within strict budgets, to suit each client and their specific requirements. It is therefore important to understand the client’s financial constraints, so we can work as part of the design team with the common aim of giving best value within the available budget. To most manufacturers, process equipment is the most important element of their business. The building is an ‘envelope around the process’, which needs to be functional in terms of providing weather protection with the internal environment optimised to suit the process.